Wee Cottage Lane Christmas

Wee Cottage Lane  Christmas
by Laura Pallatin of LaBelle Mariposa

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Native American Grinding Stones or Rocks

Living in El Dorado County in Northern California, most of the history we're treated to is about the California Gold Rush. But, I'm enchanted by the evidence we have around us which tells the story of people who were here long before 1848, the Miwok Indians. Recently, while on a little hike in some woods near my home, I found these beautiful large grinding rocks. The women of the tribe would spend time hanging out with their friends and grinding acorns into a fine paste that they made into food. It was quite a trick because acorns are naturally bitter. But, they are really abundant, so native peoples made due with what was on hand.

I hope you enjoy the photos I took. The hollowed out "bowls" are full of water this time of year and I think they make for a beautiful picture. Enjoy!
Native American Grinding Rocks in El Dorado County, California

Another view of the  Grinding Rocks

From this side angle you can really see how many "bowls" are together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I am looking forward to reading what you have to say.
Blessings!